3. With every step you take around Arunachala, all sins committed in one's past lives will be expiated. By circumambulating the sacred hill, you will obtain the merit of innumerable yagnas and bathing in all the tirthas.
4. So walk slowly, carefully, silently and noiselessly. With palms folded, meditating on this great Lingam walk, with immense love in your heart and praise and reverence for Arunachala on your lips.
5. Offer food, clothing and money in charity to the sadhus, the poor and the sick. Feed the:
- cows - representives of Goddess Laksmi,
- dogs - Lord Bhairava,
- monkeys - Lord Hanuman, and
- peacocks - Lord Muruga.
- crows - Shani Bhagavan and ancestors,
- ants - Shani Bhagavan (but when the small, slim ants appear in your home, it is a sign that you prayed to Lord Ganesha for a favour, He answered your prayers but you have forgotten to offer Him in return His favourite modakams.)
It is said that thousands of invisible devas, siddhas and Gods will accompany a devotee who circumumbulates in this manner.